Okay, so this got posted in the Molly is a BAMF post:
I’ve just gotta point out that Molly is a modernization of the name Mary
So just be ready for her to marry John in S3 is all I’m saying
I would really like this theory to die.
Honestly, if Molly DOES end up being Mary Morstan, I will humbly apologize to everyone I’ve shot down on this, but… I do not think this is going to happen. At all.
The name Molly may have its origins in the name Mary, but Mary was the most popular name for girls for FOUR HUNDRED YEARS. It is the name of the mother of God. Here are some of its derivatives:
Mair, Mal, Malle, Mame, Mamie, Marabel, Marabelle, Maree, Marella, Marelle, Maren, Maretta, Marette, Mariam, Mariana, Mariann, Marianne, Maridel, Marietta, Marila, Marilee, Marilin, Marilla, Marilyn, Marin, Marla, Marlo, Marya, Maryann, Maryanna, Maryla, Marynia, Marysa, Marysia, Maurene, Maurine, May, Maymie, Mayra, Mayria, Merrill, Millie, Milly, Mimi, Minette, Minnie, Minti, Mirja, Molly, Polly
Yeah. There’s a ton of them. It is a ridiculous common name— and Molly doesn’t even ACTUALLY SHARE MARY’S NAME.
Molly’s last name is also Hooper. Hooper. Not Morstan.
Until we get more theories about Sebastian Wilkes being Sebastian Moran, we need to stop using Molly’s name as a reason why she’s actually Mary.
As for her cat being named Toby— One, the website is actually not canon. Nothing from Molly’s blog has actually made its way onto the show. Two, the website was NOT written by Moffat and Gatiss. Three, Toby in “The Sign of the Four” was a dog. Four, the name is just a wink at canon (there are also bits of “The Sign of the Four” in “The Blind Banker”, but Sarah is out of the running as the updated Mary Morstan). Five, Toby didn’t belong to Mary.
Molly and Mary also act nothing alike. It would completely undercut the romance of Mary and John to have Molly fit into the role. It would be unnatural.
Also, from a character perspective, it makes very little sense. Molly knows Sherlock is still alive. There is very substantial evidence pointing towards this. Do we really believe that Molly could in good conscience get into a romance with John while holding onto this big secret? I just do not see this happening.
I think this is playing WAY too hard with the conservation of characters. Sherlock has a very teeny cast, when you think about it. The number of female characters is even smaller. We do not need to rob the show of expanding its female cast by shoehorning Molly into this role that does not fit her.
I have nothing against the pairing of Molly and John. As long as the character of Molly stays Molly. But having her be the updated version of Mary Morstan feels unnatural. Molly was meant to be a one-off character. The name was completely coincidental. She not written to be Mary Morstan. Period.
That came out as kind of bitchy, didn’t it? Sorry. This is the second time today this has come up.
Csárdás: Chapter 1
For those of you who missed it last night:
Authors: Em and Prisci
Chapter: 1/? + Prologue
Fandom: BBC Sherlock
Genre: AU, Friendship, Coming of Age, TeenLock, Adventure, Romance
Characters: Molly Hooper, Sherlock Holmes, John Watson, Irene Adler, Mary Morstan, Jim Moriarty, Sebastian Moran
Board the ship on AO3
In which Emily and I actually finish each others' sentences, much to the amusement of our friends. Also, we came up with a new Molly Hooper theory in the process.
- Emily: Prisci, so I had a thought about Molly.
- Prisci: Oh god...
- Emily: No, it's a good thought. Basically, I was thinking about how Molly can't be Mary Morstan--
- Prisci: Oh, I know, I was thinking about that the other day too.
- Emily: Because Molly actually has a lot of lines that are from the original Arthur Conan Doyle stories--
- Prisci: That're spoken by John Watson. Right-- and if her lines come from John's lines and interactions with Sherlock in the original canon--
- Emily: Then she can't be Mary, because she's actually--
- Prisci: Just an extension of John.
- Emily: Exactly. She's John as he typically is depicted in most adaptations-- bumbling and clumsy, but really kind and good.
- Prisci: That's exactly what I was thinking.
- Martha (one of our friends who was sitting between us): You guys do realise that you just finished each others' sentences, right? And seamlessly, too. I don't think I've actually seen anyone finish each others' sentences that well before.
- Prisci & Emily (simultaneously): I know.
Okay guys, Priscilla and I need your help. So, if you love Molly Hooper, you should help us.
We’ve been toying with the idea of Molly being Mary Morstan, John’s wife. We have two main issues with that.
1. We ship Sherlolly
2. Mary fucking DIES
So help us out. We need some nice, logical reasons as to why Molly Hooper isn’t Mary Morstan. Priscilla actually can’t concentrate because she needs to disprove this theory and can’t. If you want Prisci to survive, please, help us.
obligatory question mark?